Monday, November 5, 2012

Homestyle Dinner

It's Monday and you know what that means....puppy school!  My favorite day of the week.  I haven't had a chance to update you on last week's puppy school, which I am happy to say was a massive improvement over the previous week's disaster.  Lola only had one minor discretion when she took a big poop in the middle of the ring while all the other dogs were heeling  made a tiny mistake.  Beyond that, she did fantastic.  She heeled.  She sat.  She downed.  And the nasty people that called her an out of control chocolate came up to me after class and raved about how much progress she made in one week.  

And I, being the mature, gracious, Chrisitan-woman that I am, forgave them.  I also gave them a sympathetic look when their dog took a wee that required an entire roll of paper towels to clean up while the rest of the dogs were obediently sitting.  Because, again, I am a mature, gracious, Christian-woman.



So tonight's dinner will be eaten in shifts as the members of the McGhee family come and go to our various activities.  On nights like tonight, I like to reach for my crockpot.

Crockpot BBQ chicken


  • 4-6 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts (i threw them in frozen... even easier!)
  • 1 bottle BBQ sauce (you can make your own, or buy store-bought)
  • 1/4 c vinegar
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp. garlic powder

1.  Mix BBQ sauce with all other ingredients. 

2.  Place chicken in crockpot. pour sauce over it and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. 

I mixed all my ingredients in the crockpot before adding the chicken.



You can eat this as whole breasts or you can shred it and serve it on buns.  And some of you crazy Southerners will probably choose to smother it with coleslaw.



I serve my crockpot BBQ chicken with loaded mashed potato casserole.  This can be made ahead of time and baked when ready to eat.  This chicken heats up wonderfully for leftovers.


Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole


  • 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese blend, divided
  • 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 3 green onions, sliced

1.  Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the sour cream, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Beat on medium-low speed until light and fluffy. Stir in 2 cups cheese, bacon and onions.

2.  Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.  (I ommitted the remaining cheese on top.)

I did not beat my potatoes with a mixer.  I used a potato masher instead, since we prefer a more chunky-texture potato.




Add in your bacon, sour cream, cheese, and seasonings.  I ommitted the green onion since my minis don't like it and I live my life to please them.



This is super easy, delish, home-style meal.  Perfect for minis that are coming home starving from swim practice, perfect for the Mr. who is hungry after a long day of work, and perfect for the Heids McGhee, who is secretly praying her puppy doesn't embarrass her tonight!