The star of the meal is the meatballs. I have used this recipe for years.
- 3 (14 ounce) cans pizza sauce (or you can use homemade)
- 1 (10 ounce) jar apple jelly
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen meatballs (or you can use homemade)
- 6 hoagie rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a large saucepan, mix pizza sauce, apple jelly, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil over medium heat.
2. Place frozen meatballs into the sauce mixture. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until meatballs are done, stirring occasionally.
3. While the meatballs are cooking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place the split hoagie rolls on a large baking sheet.
4. Place several meatballs and desired amount of sauce in each roll. Layer with mozzarella cheese. Place in the preheated oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Place all your meatball sauce ingredients in a large pot (or even a crockpot) and bring to a low boil.
Add your meatballs and simmer for at least 20 minutes. I usually let my simmer all day.
I like to package the meatballs up with the hoagie buns and sliced cheese. I also like to add either a side salad, or fruit that can be served with the sandwiches. I also like to include some muffins and/or granola bars as well.
I promise the recipients will be thrilled to receive this easy and delish dinner and more so, will be touched that you thought of them! And be smart, make a double batch and feed your own family as well!