Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Lover

I love anything pumpkin.  Muffins, bread, pie, pasta.  You name it.  I love it.  Pumpkin martinis, you say?  As soon as the clock strikes noon, I'm shaking up one for myself.  

Pumpkin is very healthy, and a great source of vital antioxidants, and vitamins. Pumpkin is a low calorie vegetable that contains vitamin A, flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such as leutin, xanthin, and carotenes.  What I'm trying to say is you should eat pumpkin.  

Unfortunately, my absolute favorite, pumpkin spice lattes, do not contain any of the above nutrients.  


I've been on a mission to find a recipe for a pumpkin smoothie and I finally found one that I love and want to share.  


Pumpkin Pie Cider Smoothie
  • 2/3 cup canned pumpkin, unsweetened
  • 1 cup apple cider (not apple juice)
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional spice add-in: cayenne for spiciness)
  • 1 1/4 cups frozen banana slices
  • 1/4 cup soy creamer – (I substituted with 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk)
  • 1/4 cup ice

Optional topping from the original recipe: vanilla bean coconut whip made from full fat coconut milk, a pinch of crushed vanilla bean and 2 tsp powdered sugar.  
1.  Add all ingredients in blender and blend.
2.  Add optional topping.  I added some pre-made whipped topping that was in my fridge, left by a guest this past weekend.  I also sprinkled on some pumpkin pie spice.