Thursday, October 18, 2012

Food for a guys' guy

I love Meatloaf.  Seriously.  Whenever I am listening to my local light radio station, I can't stop myself from rolling down my windows and belting out along with him....I will DO anything for love, but I won't do that....

Meatloaf rocks.  Even though I have no clue what that really is.

Even though I love Meatloaf, I can't stand meatloaf.  I mean, I really really really can't stand meatloaf.



But, for some reason, the other day I got an urge to make a meatloaf for Mr. McGhee.  See Mr. McGhee is a guys' guy from Wisconsin that now, because of me, eats salmon and salad instead of filet and potatoes.  So every once in a while, I like to treat Mr. McGhee to a guys' guy type of dinner.  



Plus, Mr. McGhee is very handsome and the other day I caught him looking at my favorite catalog and circling the things he thought I would like.

To find a meatloaf recipe, I went to my favorite site, Our Best Bites.  And the ladies at Our Best Bites didn't fail me with their recipe for bacon-wrapped meatloaf.  That's serious guys' guy type of food.

I made the recipe exactly as written.

Bacon-wrapped meatloaf

Glaze
  • 1/2 cup chili sauce (or substitute ketchup, but I liked chili sauce)
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons cider vinegar (or white vinegar in a pinch)

Meat Loaf
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion , chopped medium
  • 2 medium cloves garlic , minced
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or whole milk)
  • 1 pound ground beef chuck
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 pound ground veal (I used more pork instead of veal)
  • 2/3 cup Saltine crackers , crushed (about 18), or quick oatmeal, or 1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
  • 6 – 8 ounces bacon , thin sliced (8 to 12 slices, depending on loaf shape)

1. For the glaze: Mix all ingredients in small saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened and set aside.
2. For the meat loaf: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in medium skillet. Add onion and garlic; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing remaining ingredients.
3. Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, and milk or yogurt. Add egg mixture to meat in large bowl along with crackers, parsley, and cooked onion and garlic; mix with fork until evenly blended and meat mixture does not stick to bowl. (If mixture sticks, add additional milk or yogurt, a couple tablespoons at a time until mix no longer sticks.)
4. Turn meat mixture onto work surface. With wet hands, pat mixture into approximately 9-by-5-inch loaf shape. Place on foil-lined (for easy cleanup) shallow baking pan. Brush with half the glaze, then arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping slightly and tucking only bacon tip ends under loaf.
5. Bake loaf until bacon is crisp and loaf registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour. Cool 10-15 minutes. While meal loaf is cooling, re-heat remaining sauce and brush some over meat loaf if desired.  Slice meat loaf and serve with extra glaze passed separately.

Make the glaze and set it aside.


As with most good recipes, start by sauteing garlic and onion.


Get your egg mixture mixed.


Add egg mixture to meat.


Mix together egg and meat mixture.  This is a tough step for those of you that are squeamish about touching meat.  I would be one of those people.  I kept myself distracted by daydreaming about this.


Slather your meatloaf with your glaze.


 Wrap that loaf up in bacon.  Tuck the ends underneath the meatloaf.


Bake until cooked thoroughly.



 Slather a little extra glaze on top before serving.


Mr. McGhee loved this.  In fact, all the minis loved it too.  Especially my middle mini, which doesn't surprise me...he's sort of a guys' guy too.   This is him, finishing his first 5k in 30 minutes!



I served my meatloaf with oven-roasted cauliflower.  
  • 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2-1/4 pounds), trimmed and cut into florets
  • 3 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1.  Heat oven to 450 degrees F. 



2.  Combine cauliflower and garlic in a large bowl. 
3.  Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. 
4.  Transfer, in a single layer, to a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast at 450 degrees F for about 25 minutes, stirring once. Sprinkle with cheese. 




Everyone loved the cauliflower.  A huge hit and now on our weekly veggie rotation!

And to drink, we had spinach smoothies.  My best friend introduced them to me this weekend.  

Spinach Smoothie

  • handful (or two) of spinach
  • handful of frozen strawberries
  • frozen banana
  • 1/2 cucumber (peeled)
1.  Blend in blender.





Delish!  A meal you can totally feel good about feeding to your family!