Picture overload. I know, sorry! But, when your 9 year old mini tells you many times throughout the day that this is "the best day of my life", you want to document that day properly. And I'm a blogger, so this is how I document things. And I also encourage everyone to set aside a day and spend it outdoors with your family. The exercise (6 miles!), the fresh air, the unplugged-ness, the adventure....it's incredible!
And of course, you will be HUNGRY afterwards! And naturally, the only meal suitable for the McGhees was a bowl of warm chili. We had our chili with grilled cheese (colby-jack on Great Harvest honey wheat bread) and served with a side of sweet potatoes.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and position oven rack to middle position. Line the bottom of a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a medium sized bowl, place the prepared, cubed sweet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, dried thyme. Distribute the ingredients evenly to cover the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the prepared baking sheet and spread out the potatoes so that they are in a single layer.
3. Roast in oven for about 40 minutes -OR- until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a sharp knife. Set the oven to broil and broil until the tops of the sweet potatoes start to brown, about 8-10 minutes (keep an eye on the potatoes when broiling, as your time may differ and you want to take care not to burn them).
Cut up your potatoes.
Season your potatoes.
Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
Bake until soft and then broil until browned.
These were delish. Seriously, seriously tasty. Everyone in my family loved them. Everyone except for my middle mini, who hates sweet potatoes. However, he did mange to eat his portion of sweet potatoes by pretending his was spiderman and using his web-powers to shoot the potatoes directly into his stomach. And I kind of believe that he could be spiderman....
.....and in case you were wondering, he landed on his feet......