Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Fah-HEE-tahs

The other day, I invited a friend over for dinner.  I won't name names, but this particular friend is gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, and vegetarian.  

Um, yeah.  If you are gluten-free, lactose-intolerant, and vegetarian and a friend offers to cook for you, then you've got yourself a true friend.  You know, not one of these friends.....



So I decided to make my friend vegetable fajitas served on corn tortillas.  You could certainly add any protein of your choice (steak, chicken, pork, seafood) to make a non-vegetarian version.  

Vegetable Fajitas (pronounced Fah-HEE-tah......I'm talking to you Dad.  No more humiliating me at Mexican restaurants)


  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1-2 bell peppers sliced, use all colors
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic (I used at least 2 tsp)
  • 1 yellow squash, halved and sliced into strips
  • 1/2 cup salsa (I used homemade green tomatillo salsa from my local market)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (used pepper jack for some kick)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1.  In a 10 inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic; stir to coat with oil. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes. 

2.  Stir squash into vegetables. Stir in salsa, cumin, and salt. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes.

3.  Spoon vegetable mixture evenly down the centers of warm tortillas, and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Roll up tortillas, and serve.


This recipe is simple.  COok all your veggies and serve them hot with cheese and cilantro on a tortilla.



I also topped ours with sour cream and my famous Heids McGhee guac.



Simple.  Delish.  Best served with good friends and cold margaritas.