Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Juuuuuuuice!!!!

I am so excited to share my big news with you all.  I have started juicing!  Now, if you're someone who goes to the gym often, you may be concerned that I am talking about juicing, and that I am going to end up looking like this.....


No worries, friends.  I am talking about juicing, like this.....


Isn't she lovely?  I put her right next to my Vitamix, so when I'm having a bad day I can talk to them both at the same time.

We've been having a lot of fun with juicing, but the juice I am most proud of is my green juice.  Mr. McGhee and I drank it after we exercised yesterday morning.  At 5 am.  Can I repeat that?  Yesterday, at 5 am, Mr. McGhee and I drank green juice after we exercised.  


I nearly forgot to take a photo, probably because my brain was still a bit foggy.  I mean, it was 5 am.  And, Mr. McGhee and I were up, exercising.  

This particular green juice was a combination of spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, celery, lemon, and ginger.  Holy cow!  What a way to start the day!

One thing I am noticing about juicing is that you need a lot of apples and carrots.  So, the other day I bought 4 bags of organic apples and 4 bags of organic carrots.  The people at the grocery store probably thought I have horses.  And, even though I knew I'd be using those apples and carrots for juicing, I also used them to whip up a batch of one of my absolute favorite salads.



  • 4 apples (I used 1 granny smith and 3 pink lady apples), cut into matchsticks
  • lemon juice
  • 3 cups raw carrots, cut into matchsticks 
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
1.  Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. A
2.  Add carrots, chives, oil, sugar, salt, pepper and cheese; toss to mix thoroughly. 


This salad is delish.  It's crisp and refreshing.  I served mine with shredded BBQ pork on Great Harvest dinner rolls and sweet potatoes, with entirely too much butter.  And I didn't worry about that butter either, since I had exercised very hard that day.  At 5 am.




Another thing I love about this apple salad is that it keeps well over night.  So the next morning, I enjoyed my leftover apple salad over baby spinach leaves.  Delish!