Monday, April 16, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-chia

A couple of years ago, Mr. McGhee and I had a date night.  In our house, date night means we put the minis to bed early, pop some popcorn, rent a movie, and try to stay awake past the opening credits.  The movie we picked that night was the documentary called Food Matters.  The film is full of solid information (that has been supported by scientific research) about alternative diets, medicine, and lifestyles.  We were amazed by the astounding scientific information ranging from the advantages of raw diets and yoga to treating cancer holistically.

I watched the film and all I can remember is that people actually eat chia seeds.
My apologies to the film makers, because I do think your documentary was a wealth of information and I did love it.  But, seriously, I could not get over the fact that people actually eat chia seeds.  So, imagine my surprise when I was doing research the other day for easy breakfast options and came across a recipe that called for chia seeds.  Then, my inner nerd started doing some reading and discovered that chia seeds are, indeed, very healthy for you.  Like, way freaking healthy for you.  Here's some of the information I found about chia seeds.....

  • 2 times the protein of any other seed or grain,
  • 5 times the calcium of milk, plus boron which is a trace mineral that helps transfer calcium into your bones
  • 2 times the amount of potassium as bananas,
  • 3 times the reported antioxidant strength of blueberries
  • 3 times more iron than spinach
  • copious amounts of omega 3 and omega 6, which are essential fatty acids...

    Chia seeds are a complete source of protein, providing all the essential amino acids in an easily digestible form. They are also a fabulous source of soluble fiber.  Like flax, chia is highly 'hydrophilic' - the seeds absorb water and create a mucilaginous gel. They can hold 9-12 times their weight in water and they absorb it very rapidly - in under 10 minutes.  This fills you up faster (hey...anyone trying to lose weight?!??!  Toss in some chia seeds!)  
     Chia seeds also have antioxidants!!!


  • Want to know more?  You should!!!  I know I sure do!  Start reading here and here.  Heard enough and want to try eating some chia?  I've got a super easy and convenient way for you to try, overnight refrigerator oatmeal.

    Ingredients
    • 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
    • 1/3 cup skim milk
    • 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds

    1.  Put all the ingredients in a jar.
    2.  Add toppings to your preference.
    **Suggested toppings:  fruit, honey, vanilla extract, applesauce, peanut butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup.
    3.  Put in the refrigerator overnight.
    4.  Shake.
    5.  Serve.
    I went with a little vanilla extract and frozen raspberries.  Next time I will do strawberries, this was a little tart for the minis.





    These are a great way to start your day.  If you have a few extra minutes, I would suggest drinking an OJ smoothie as well.  

    OJ smoothie
    • 4-6 oranges, peeled (I used minelleo and clementine)
    • 2 cups ice
    • 1 cup milk
    • 2 tbsp agave or honey
    • 2 tbsp vanilla extract 
    1.  Put all ingredients in blender and blend.  




    Start your day out right.  Start your day out with some chia seeds.  


    And, if you have any leftover, rub them on this guy.