Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dreams and Avocados

In the McGhee home, we like to dream big.

For instance, my middle mini wants to grow up and live in an RV on the beach and be a stay at home dad so he can play with his kids on the beach all day while his wife works.



My oldest mini wants to work at a smoothie shop and make "power smoothies".



And my tiny mini dreams of never having her hair cut.



I dream of baking bread, growing my own pear tomatoes, and raising chickens.  Thank goodness for Mr. McGhee and his grown up dreams or we'd all be in trouble!

Another thing I dream about is avocados.



I think avocados are the perfect food.  If I am ever stranded on an island....say in an RV with my middle and oldest mini because we don't have enough money to pay our phone bill and call for help.....I would want to have a source of avocados near by.  They have fat.  They have calories.  And they pack 20 nutrients.  And they are darn tasty.  Just as a sidenote, they are they perfect first food for a baby too, just smash and serve.

So, tonight's dinner is avocado chicken quesadilias.


Ingredients  


  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 8 flour tortillas, fajita size
  • 1 cup Colby-Jack cheese
  • 1 cup Pepper-Jack cheese, shredded
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I used chicken from yesterday)
  • 1 avocado, diced sprinkled with 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 2 green onions, diced

Instructions (Just as a sidenote here, I have wasted a solid hour of my life trying to get this off of an aqua and large font and I can't get it to work.  So, I apologize if this is bothering you.  Please know it is bothering me too.)

1.  Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add a little butter to the griddle and melt. 

2.  Place one tortilla over melted butter, sprinkle with 1/4 cup Colby-Jack and 1/4 cup Pepper-Jack cheeses, 1/2 cup of chicken, 1/4 of the green onions, and 1/4 of the avocado; top with another tortilla. 


3.  Cook until browned, using a spatula gently flip over and cook until bottom tortilla is browned. Remove to a cutting board and slice with a sharp knife or pizza cutter into 4 wedges. Repeat with remaining ingredients.


These quesadilias were absolutely delish!  If you have never tried homemade tortillas, I highly recommend trying them with this recipe, it is well worth the extra time and effort.  


Roll the tortillas out as thin as you can.  


Try to cut them in equal sizes.  For Pete's sake, do a better job of this step than I do!!!


Heat up on a skillet....no spray, oil, grease needed....just a minute or so on each side until browned.


So, here's my quesadilia.  It's a trainwreck, but an oh-so-delish trainwreck.




I served my delish quesadilias with these babies....




You can see on the ingredient label, that these tortilla chips only have 4 ingredients so technically they are not processed food.   In my heart, I know these are a cheat.  I also have a certain Mr. McGhee that is in my heart too.  And Mr. McGhee loves him some tortilla chips and homemade salsa.   And since his dreams keep our family afloat, I strive to keep him happy.  Just ask him.  



So there you go, a totally delish dinner!  Eat your avocados!  And, for crying out loud readers, ChAsE yOuR dReAmS.  (Even if that dream is to live in an van down by the river RV on the beach).