Friday, April 6, 2012

Jelly Beans?!?!?

In case you were wondering, there's no such thing as an organic, 100% natural, unprocessed jelly bean.

The other day, my tiny mini told me she couldn't wait for the Easter bunny to come and bring her jelly beans.  I debated giving her a friendly reminder that we don't eat things like jelly beans in our house.  But she was doing her cute little jumpy-twirly-I-am-so-excited-I-can't-contain-myself thing that she does, so I just told her I couldn't wait for the Easter bunny too.  I was thinking I could surely track down a healthy alternative to jelly beans.

Well, I didn't.  No such thing exists.  And if it does exist, don't tell me now because it's too late.

So, I bought a bag of jelly beans.  And then I saw these babies.....


I love Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs.  And even though I had a stomach ache from looking at all that food coloring in the jelly bean bag, I still really wanted one.  But, I didn't buy one.  I just spent the next 48 hours dreaming of them.  And then, I stumbled upon this recipe.


Ingredients
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups Creamy Peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 2-3 tablespoons milk
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon Shortening

1.  Mix together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter. Add the milk one tablespoon at a time until it becomes a nice workable dough.  It will be just like play dough, it will be really easy to work with.  Form the dough into egg shapes, and place in the freezer for about an hour.
2.  Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a glass measuring cup.  Microwave 1 minute at a time stirring in between until completely melted.  (You can also use a double boiler if you prefer).
3.  Dip each egg in the melted chocolate and place on waxed paper until set. 
4.  Once they are set you can trim any excess chocolate off that may pool at the base with a pairing knife to make them look pretty.  You could also decorate them with royal icing and make a really special Easter treat.

Dough for the filling


Rolled out into eggs.



Covered in chocolate.


Mine are perfect.  That's okay.  I don't strive for perfect.  I strive for good enough.





These are delish.  Better than Reese's.  Think of me on Sunday, as I spend Easter morning breathing into a paper bag, trying not to hyperventilate from the jelly beans from the Easter bunny.  Freaking bunny!