Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Sell Out

Lately, I've been really aware of how quickly time is passing and how fast my minis are growing up.  Every day I am having moments of "when did she get so old" and "is he really big enough to be doing that" and "wow, he doesn't need me to do that for him anymore."  And it's sending me into this panic of trying to make memories.  And, why am I telling you this?

Because I am a sell out.  And I am blaming it on my current sentiment.  I already told you about the jelly beans.  And several of you were gracious enough to send me links to all natural jelly beans, even after I asked you not too.  So, thanks!  Unfortunately, you can't order something on Good Friday and have it delivered by Easter, so my minis are stuck with these toxic mixtures of food color and high fructose corn syrup.  I thought I couldn't stoop any lower, and then my tiny mini flipped her Katniss Everdeen braid and batted her blue eyes and said, "mama, pwease make me rainbow jello on Easter."  And I realized, it's only a matter of years before she's asking for a skimpy rainbow bedazzled bikini for Easter, so I said yes.



And my "go big or go go home" attitude kicked in found this recipe on pinterest.  I went to the store and came home with these.  I didn't read the ingredients, but I am pretty certain it reads INGREDIENTS: food coloring and unmentionable animal parts.



And this is the reaction that I got.



She was thrilled.  I was thrilled.  We literally spent hours together in the kitchen and I taught my 3 year old mini all about ROY G BIV.  Success despite all the toxicity.

Rainbow Jello
  • small packages of Jell-O, any colors
  • plain yogurt (I was REALLY bad and bought vanilla-flavored yogurt to make it really sweet and creamy)

1.  Mix one package of Jell-O with 1 cup boiling water, stirring to dissolve completely. 
2.  Pour 2/3 cup of the jello into an 8″x8″ pan that has been rubbed lightly with vegetable oil. 
3.  Refrigerate until set. 
4.  While it is chilling, stir enough 1/3 cup of yogurt into the remaining Jell-O.
5.  Once jello layer has set,  pour jello-yogurt layer over the chilled first layer.
6.  Continue in the same manner to make clear and opaque layers and chilling each before adding the next. Once finished, cover and chill for a few hours, then cut into squares with a sharp knife.

First layer is purple jello.

Here you can see purple jello layer, purple jello/yogurt layer, blue jello layer, blue jello/yogurt layer, green jello layer, and green jello/yogurt layer.



Here you can see me pouring the orange jello layer onto the purple/blue/green layers.  MAKE SURE YOU CHILL AND SET BETWEEN EACH LAYER!!!!  And yes, I realize, I made a ROY G BIV error and put orange orange on before yellow.  And yes, I considered throwing this out and starting all over again.  But, I didn't, so I will be forced to eat RYO G BIV jello tomorrow.  I consider that punishment enough.



Here's the orange jello/yogurt layer.



Finished product.  So. Much.Fun.






So, I apologize for selling out.  It was worth it because my mini told me I was the best mama ever and she had an I-can't-stop-hugging-you moment.  But, if you are disappointed, I will try to make it up to you with a couple more recipes.

Tomorrow is Easter.  To me, Easter means two things....Jesus and deviled eggs.

Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs
  • 12 Hard boiled eggs
  • 4 slices Bacon (cooked & crumbled)
  • 2 tablespoons Cheese, finely shredded
  • 1 Green Onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise (make your own, it's so easy!)
  • 1 tablespoon Mustard
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Instructions
  1. Cook bacon {we like to cook bacon in the oven}
  2. Slice hard boiled eggs length-wise and scoop out yolks, place yolks in a mixing bowl.
  3. Mash yolks and mix in the bacon,green onion,mayonnaise, mustard and black pepper.
  4. Spoon or pipe the mixture into the egg whites.
  5. Refrigerate until serving.





I forgot to take pictures of the finished products, but they were delish!!!!  

I am also bringing this dip tomorrow to Easter brunch.  You can eat this dip with pita chips or veggies.  I prefer veggies, especially cucumber slices.
7-Layer Greek Dip
  • 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
  • 1 tsp. dill weed or Greek seasoning (salt free–go for a mix that just has herbs)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 c. hummus
  • 1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers
  • 1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 c. chopped Kalamata olives
  • 1/3 c. chopped green onions (about 3 green onions completely chopped)
  • 1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
  • 1/8-1/4 c. minced fresh parsley

1.  With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, seasoning, garlic, and lemon juice until light and fluffy. 
2.  Spread in the bottom of a pie plate or a small, shallow baking dish. 
3.  Then spread a layer of hummus. 
4.  In order, create layers by sprinkling the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, Feta cheese, and parsley. 
5.  Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Serve with pita chips, fresh vegetables, and/or flatbread.  








I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me for selling out.  I would like to point out that tomorrow is Easter, and Easter is the season of forgiveness.  So, have a blessed day and come back and visit me soon!