Because I am a sell out. And I am blaming it on my current sentiment. I already told you about the jelly beans. And several of you were gracious enough to send me links to all natural jelly beans, even after I asked you not too. So, thanks! Unfortunately, you can't order something on Good Friday and have it delivered by Easter, so my minis are stuck with these toxic mixtures of food color and high fructose corn syrup. I thought I couldn't stoop any lower, and then my tiny mini flipped her Katniss Everdeen braid and batted her blue eyes and said, "mama, pwease make me rainbow jello on Easter." And I realized, it's only a matter of years before she's asking for a skimpy rainbow bedazzled bikini for Easter, so I said yes.
And my "go big or go go home" attitude kicked in found this recipe on pinterest. I went to the store and came home with these. I didn't read the ingredients, but I am pretty certain it reads INGREDIENTS: food coloring and unmentionable animal parts.
And this is the reaction that I got.
She was thrilled. I was thrilled. We literally spent hours together in the kitchen and I taught my 3 year old mini all about ROY G BIV. Success despite all the toxicity.
- small packages of Jell-O, any colors
- plain yogurt (I was REALLY bad and bought vanilla-flavored yogurt to make it really sweet and creamy)
Here you can see purple jello layer, purple jello/yogurt layer, blue jello layer, blue jello/yogurt layer, green jello layer, and green jello/yogurt layer.
Here you can see me pouring the orange jello layer onto the purple/blue/green layers. MAKE SURE YOU CHILL AND SET BETWEEN EACH LAYER!!!! And yes, I realize, I made a ROY G BIV error and put orange orange on before yellow. And yes, I considered throwing this out and starting all over again. But, I didn't, so I will be forced to eat RYO G BIV jello tomorrow. I consider that punishment enough.
Here's the orange jello/yogurt layer.
Finished product. So. Much.Fun.
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened (I used low-fat)
- 1 tsp. dill weed or Greek seasoning (salt free–go for a mix that just has herbs)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c. hummus
- 1 c. seeded, diced cucumbers
- 1 c. seeded, diced tomatoes
- 1/2 c. chopped olives
- 1/3 c. chopped green onions (about 3 green onions completely chopped)
- 1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/8-1/4 c. minced fresh parsley