Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ambush!!!

This week was the last week of school for my minis.  My tiny, girlie mini had her last day of school on Tuesday.  Here she is, very excited because she was going to celebrate her summer birthday with her classmates that day.





My boy minis had their last day on Wednesday.  They're looking forward to a summer of swimming, baseball, vacations, puppy-time, and lazy days with their mama.  Here they are on their last day of school.



You're probably wondering why my boy minis look like drowned rats on their last day of school.  Well, this is why.  They were ambushed.  By me.

First, I did this (don't mind the Happy Birthday balloons, it was nobody's birthday but all we had in the house).....





Not impressed?  You shouldn't be.  All this was simply my cover-up.  This here was my ambush....


When I picked my minis up from school I told them I had a surprise for them.  When we got home, they were less than impressed with my surprise, but humored me as I asked them to please stand in front of the garage so I could take their picture.  While they were standing there posing instead of getting my camera, I snuck onto the front porch and grabbed my water balloons and AMBUSH!  It was awesome, lots of screaming and running.

But, I forgot one thing.  Mama didn't raise no fools.  Guess where they ran?  Guess who ended up looking like she peed her pants?

A great time was had by all.  And once we all dried off, we did what only made sense.....enjoyed homemade popsicles!




I made these popsicles using a smoothie recipe that was passed on to me from my  best friend.  She has recently fallen in love again with fruits and vegetables, so she calls me regularly to gush about the beautiful produce she has in her fridge.  And then we spend hours talking about all the different ways we can eat fruits and vegetables.  It's lovely.  Not odd in any sort of way.

Best Friend's Fruit Smoothie (for those of you on weight watchers, I believe this is zero points)

  • handful of strawberries
  • 1-2 frozen bananas
  • whole cucumber (peeled or unpeeled;  I peel, best friend does not peel.  She's always been more of a badass than me.)
  • small handful of spinach (you can experiment with the amount of spinach)
1.  Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Blend WELL.

I added fresh mint from my garden when I made my fruit smoothie.  It was lovely.  Until I choked on that cute little mint leave that I put in there for photographic purposes.



This is a TRUE fruit smoothie.  This is what a fruit smoothie should taste like.....FRUIT!  If you are someone that loves fruit smoothies made out of a can of smoothie mix or ice cream, you will probably be disappointed in this.  If you are someone who can appreciate fruit for what it is, I think you'll love this.

I made a second batch of this smoothie and poured it into popsicle molds.  My minis loved them!


Happy Summer!!!  And to moms everywhere, I highly recommend a water balloon ambush on your minis!  Just make sure to hide the hose!