Monday, May 7, 2012

Pretzels!!!

Am I the only one here that can barely pull into a parking space at the mall before I hear, "I'm hungry.  Can we get a pretzel?"  And I always say, "Seriously, Mr. McGhee.  Why didn't you eat something before we left the house?"  My minis are also crazy about those buttery and salty pretzels, so I've been on a mission to find a homemade recipe for months now.  


Mission Complete.  I made these pretzels this morning, and they are delish.  In fact, my minis even said they taste exactly like the mall pretzels.  They are super easy to make, just make sure you have enough time to the dough rise.


Auntie Anne's Copycat Pretzel recipe



  • 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
  • Kosher salt for Topping
  • 1 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon butter (melted)
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons warm water
1.  Prepare yeast as instructed on the packet  (I added 1 1/4 cups of warm water to 1 tbsp and 1/2 tsp of dry active yeast.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes).
2.  Add oil to the yeast and stir.
3.  In a separate bowl mix place powdered sugar, butter, flour and salt. Mix. Place yeast mixture into the dry ingredient bowl.
4.  Flour a surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes.
5.  Place dough in a covered bowl ( I use plastic wrap) and let it rest for about an hour at 80 degrees.  Dough should double in size.
6.  Preheat oven at 425F.  
7.  Take dough and cut into 8 sections. And roll into a long rope.
8.  Prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 tbsp baking soda. ( It will give the pretzel that wonderful brown color).
9.  Dip each pretzel into the bath.
10.  Place pretzel on to parchment paper on top of a baking sheet.
11.  Bake for about 10 minutes or until pretzel is brown.
12.  Blush melted butter (optional ) onto each and sprinkle salt on top.

Wait until dough has doubled in size.


Cut dough into 8 sections.








Stretch dough.







We found whipping the dough around in circles gave us the best stretching. 




Fold into a pretzel shape.



Dip into baking soda and water. 



Ready to bake.




Finished baking.





Brush with melted butter and salt.  Enjoy while hot.



Next time I will make half with salt and the other half with cinnamon and sugar.  Delish!