Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rainbows

The key to happiness in life is low standards.

OK, so you all probably know me better than to believe that I really mean that.  But, seriously, isn't it wonderful when you have low standards for something and it turns out great?  I'm referring specifically to food when I say that, of course.

Yesterday, I threw some things in the crockpot and had no clue how it would turn out and low and behold, it was a total hit.  Here's the recipe.

Heids McGhee's low standards crockpot Mexican chicken

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 5 chicken legs
  • taco seasoning (I used my homemade seasoning)
  • jar of salsa (I used deli made at my local market)
  • can of black beans
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of corn (canned or frozen)
  • cilantro (from my herb garden)
  • chives (from my herb garden)
  • tortillas
  • shredded cheese (Mr. McGhee and I used pepper-jack, the minis used cheddar)
  • sour cream
  • avocado, diced
1.  Put the chicken in the crockpot.  Sprinkle with taco seasoning and pour in salsa.  Stir.  Cook on high until chicken is done.  Mine took about 3.5-4 hours.

2.  Remove chicken and shred.  Return shredded chicken to crockpot and add corn and black beans.  Cook on low another hour.

3.  Serve on tortillas.  Add cheese, fresh cilantro and chives, sour cream, and avocados.




Eat while enjoying the pouring rain and the double rainbow that it brings.  Realize key to happiness is not having low standards, but finding happiness amidst the rain.