Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back to School

It's nearly back to school time.  That means parents everywhere are shedding tears of sadness while they jump for joy.  



I always try to do something special on that first morning that I send my minis off to school each year.  I figure the memory of a special breakfast will erase the memory of my "hurry up, grab your 100 pound backpack, remember your swim bag, are you kidding-me-you-didn't-do-a-summer-educational-project?, don't you dare forget that all-organic-homemade lunch I got up at 4 am to pack" rant.  

This year I plan on making my minis a dutch baby.  A dutch baby is basically an egg-based pancake that puffs up when baked.  The minis will love it.  And it has an easy prep time of 5 minutes.  I can prep and toss it in the oven.  Head upstairs and drag the minis out of bed and get them ready in time to take it out of the oven.  

Ingredients.
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp butter



  1. HEAT oven to 450°F. WHISK eggs, milk, flour, sugar and salt in medium bowl until smooth.
  2. PLACE butter in 9-inch metal pie plate or 9 or 10-inch ovenproof skillet. HEAT in oven to melt butter, about 2 minutes. TILT plate to coat evenly with butter.
  3. POUR batter into hot pie plate. BAKE in 450°F oven 8 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°F. CONTINUE baking until pancake is golden brown and sides are puffy, 8 to 10 minutes. CUT into wedges. SERVE immediately.


Dutch babies are traditionally served with powdered sugar and lemon wedges.  I will serve mine with fruit....strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.  It would also be delicious with 100% pure maple syrup.  Make sure your minis get a peek of it while it is still puffed up and in the oven because it flattens quickly.  Call it their summer educational project.