Monday, August 13, 2012

Bad *** pasta

Do you have an inner bad-ass that is just dying to be let out?  You know, that little voice inside your head that says things like, "daaaaayum, you GO girl".  See, I may be a crunchy, granola, Mother-Earth kind of girl, but don't be fooled.  I've got some serious inner bad-ass.

So the other day I was getting my first opportunity of the day to sit down and relax.  As I happily reached for my iPad to log into Pinterest, I realized it was 5:30 and I had 3 minis staring at me, expecting me to feed them.  Being the loving mom that I am, I set aside my iPad (telling myself that I was getting these 3 minis into bed ASAP because my Pinterest account was screaming my name) and went to work in the kitchen.  And that's when my inner bad-ass told me to crank up the Flo-Rida and start cooking.

So I started by roasting some bell peppers that I had harvested from the garden that morning.  


As soon as I saw my peppers blackening under that open flame I knew that I was a force to be reckoned with that night in the kitchen.  So I chopped up some garlic and onion and sauteed them in some olive oil.


At this point, Flo-Rida was singing Wild One, and I was inspired to tap into my inner wild side, so I reached for a package of chicken sausage.  And, guess what?  My inner wild side doesn't care that this chicken sausage has more than 5 ingredients, so it got chopped and sauteed as well.


At this point, I was on a roll, so I threw in some sundried tomatoes as well.



I tossed it all together with some whole wheat pasta noodles, and topped with fresh shredded parmesan.




Delish.  Seriously.  Flo-Rida would be proud to know that he inspired such bad-ass pasta.

I loved this pasta.  Mr. McGhee loved this pasta.  My minis loved this pasta.  My sweet snuggly middle mini LOVED this pasta.  And, now I am a little concerned that he has a screamin' inner bad-ass as well.

Heids McGhee's bad-ass pasta
  • bell peppers (I used red, orange, and yellow)
  • diced onion 
  • diced garlic (2-10 cloves, depends on how bad you really want to be!)
  • olive oil
  • chicken sausage, sliced
  • sun-dried tomato packed in oil (sliced)
  • whole wheat pasta
  • fresh shredded parmesan cheese
2.  Saute garlic and onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes.  Add chicken sausage and saute until browned.
3.  Add sun-dried tomato and saute an additional minute or two.
4.  Toss chicken mixture with roasted peppers and pasta.  Top with cheese.