Monday, July 16, 2012

A Royal Salad

The recipe I want to share with you today is from the Barefoot Contessa.  Now, I don't watch the Barefoot Contessa, mainly because I prefer to watch someone with a higher energy level than the she.  And, to be honest, until about 45 seconds ago, I didn't even know what the word "contessa" means (Italian Countess).  But, even though I don't watch her show, I do know that on the few occasions that I have tried her recipes they are always fantastic.


And her avocado and endive salad is to die for.  In fact, after she wrote this recipe, Italy probably did become a real countess.  And, from now on, I will not pretend that I am an Italian Countess every time I make this salad.

The Barefoot Contessa's Avocado and Endive Salad


  • 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 heads endive
  • 3 ripe Haas avocados, peeled and seeded


1.  Whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to make a vinaigrette

2.  Remove a 1/2-inch from the stem end of each endive, discard the core, and cut the rest across into 1-inch chunks. 

3.  Cut the avocados into large dice or wedges. 

4.  Toss the avocados and endive with the vinaigrette. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.


Did you know that one cup of endive a week can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer by 75%?  It's true.  I read it on the internet.
 
Prepared vinaigrette. 


Avocados, tossed with the vinaigrette.  Waiting for the endive to join them.


I am embarrassed to admit, I do not have a picture of the final product.  I was so excited to eat it and start lowering my risk of ovarian cancer, that I forgot to snap a picture.   You can find a picture here, although mine did not look nearly that neat

This salad was so delish, I was tempted to set my DVR to tape the Italian Countess.