And her avocado and endive salad is to die for. In fact, after she wrote this recipe, Italy probably did become a real countess. And, from now on, I will not pretend that I am an Italian Countess every time I make this salad.
The Barefoot Contessa's Avocado and Endive Salad
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 heads endive
- 3 ripe Haas avocados, peeled and seeded
1. Whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to make a vinaigrette.
2. Remove a 1/2-inch from the stem end of each endive, discard the core, and cut the rest across into 1-inch chunks.
3. Cut the avocados into large dice or wedges.
4. Toss the avocados and endive with the vinaigrette. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.
Did you know that one cup of endive a week can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer by 75%? It's true. I read it on the internet.
Avocados, tossed with the vinaigrette. Waiting for the endive to join them.
I am embarrassed to admit, I do not have a picture of the final product. I was so excited to eat it and start lowering my risk of ovarian cancer, that I forgot to snap a picture. You can find a picture here, although mine did not look nearly that neat
This salad was so delish, I was tempted to set my DVR to tape the Italian Countess.