Monday, July 2, 2012

Cool Treats

 It is hot hot hot in the middle of America right now.  And I love hot weather so I am not complaining.  The only thing about hot weather that upsets me is that I hate to turn the oven on, which is sort of a stumbling block for someone that is a food and cooking blogger.  So I have been cooking less big meals and working hard to come up with nutrient-packed snacks for us to eat to keep us cool. 


One thing I have found myself hooked on is sassy water.  I’ll give you a moment to stop laughing because yes, I just said I drink something called sassy water.  Now, sassy water is a drink that women everywhere are drinking because of the claims that it will all make us look like this.  99% of me doesn’t buy into the sassy water claims, but the 1% of me that does is hoping that it works.  And if it doesn’t work, oh well….at least I am staying hydrated.  And actually, it’s really tasty, unlike other all-natural weight loss beverages.

Sassy Water
  • 8 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
  • 1 large lemon, sliced thin
  • 12 mint leaves








My minis love sassy water too.  I don’t let my tiny mini drink too much of the sassy water because her sassy tank seems to be overflowing already. 



My minis love popsicles.  I have been making smoothies for myself each morning.  I usually make a double batch and pour my smoothie into popsicle molds for the minis to enjoy later in the day. 

Heids McGhee’s breakfast smoothie and Mini popsicle

  • 1 mango, cut into chunks (can use fresh or frozen)
  •  ¼ cup frozen raspberries
  •  1 frozen banana
  • 1/8 cup blueberries
  •  Fresh ginger (add less or more, depending on your personal preference)
  •  ½ cup plain greek yogurt
  • Spash of orange juice
  • ½ cup protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed

1.  Blend.
2.  Drink half for breakfast, pour the other half into popsicle molds.






Another snack we have enjoyed is banana-sicles. 

Mini McGhee’s banan-sicles
  • One banana
  • 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Drop of vanilla extract
  • Crushed walnuts
  • Popsicle stick or skewer

1.  Mix cinnamon and vanilla extract with greek yogurt.
2.  Slather banana with yogurt mixture.  (If you can find a neat way to do this, please let us know).
3.  Sprinkle with crushed walnuts.  Stick popsicle stick in the end of the banana.
4.  Freeze for about an hour. 





Stay cool!  Drink your sassy water!