Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Record Setting Veggies

Most of you probably know that I am an novice accomplished gardener.   And I always thought that I wanted to start gardening with the hopes of becoming a farmer.  But, after my first summer of gardening I realized that my true destiny is competition gardening.

That's right.  I am about to join the ranks of these guys.





Depending on how well you know me, you may or may not be surprised by my rapid ascent from novice to competition.  But, as they say, the proof is in the pudding.  Well, actually, in the zucchini, in this case.


With literally no special effort, I managed to grow this ginormous zucchini.  Impressive, eh?  I used the first half and made a batch of grilled veggies for grilled veggie sandwiches.  And then tonight, we made zucchini chips for dinner.  What are zucchini chips, you say?  Remember kale chips?  Remember broccoli chips?  Remember brussel sprout chips?  Remember sweet potato chips?

If you haven't realized it, Heids McGhee likes to coat veggies in oil and cook them at a high temperature and call them "chips"!  And if you actually try my recipes, you'll realize that all these veggie chips are pretty darn delish!

Zucchini Chips

  • zucchini, sliced thin
  • oil (I used part olive, part canola)
  • seasoning salt (or sea salt, I used a combination of the two)
1.  Preheat oven to 350F.  (I got impatient and cranked it up to 400F after 10 minutes).
2.  Slice the zucchini very thin.
3.  Toss with olive oil until zucchini is coated.
4.  Sprinkle with salt. 
5.  Arrange slices on a tin-foil lined cooking sheet.
6.  Bake until brown and crispy....probably about 15-25 minutes.

Slice your zucchini thin.



I just wanted to show you again how big this zucchini is.  Surely, she'd bring home a blue ribbon from the County Fair.


Arrange on a sheet.  Season with salt.


Cook until crispy.



Delish.  Even my tiny mini loved them.




Now, I've started thinking....what other award-winning veggie should I grow and use to make chips?