Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Produce



Sadly, this is me.  

You know that saying "find something you love to do in life and then find a way to make money doing it?"  Somewhere between "find something you love to do in life" and "find a way to make money doing it" there is a huge stumbling block for me.  Actually, less of a stumbling block and more like a brick wall.  

But that's okay.  Because although I will never be able to financially support my family, if we ever find ourselves stranded and living under a bridge, I could plant a garden and feed us.

Because guess what.....I can garden!!!!



  
And I can honestly say there is no paycheck that could give me the self-satisfaction I get from watching my garden grow and feeding my family.  In fact the other day, my minis ate all the broccoli out of the garden.  I have never been so happy to see broccoli stuck in teeth than I was that day when they came giggling in the house to tell me what they had done!


I think the vegetable I am most excited about is the kale, which we harvested the other day for lunch.




We used the kale to make kale chips.  Now, kale is a veggie that is near and dear to my heart because kale chips are the reason I started this blog in the first place.  So even though I have shared this recipe already, I thought I would post it again for any new readers and as a reminder to those of you who aren't regularly making kale chips.  And I wanted to brag about my garden.

Heids McGhee's It-All-Stared-With-Kale-Chips

  • 1 bunch of kale
  • olive oil
  • seasoned salt (or sea salt)
  1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F
  2. Line a cookie sheet with foil.
  3. Using a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale.   
  4. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
  5. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.            

Bake until dark on the edges and crisp.


Serve warm on a plate.  Or just hover around the stove and eat off the baking sheet.



I recently whipped up an easy veggie dip that I thought I would share.  These kale chips need no dip, but I find that my minis love dip with their cucumbers, carrots, and broccoli.

Heids McGhee's Veggie Dip


• 1/2 cup plain yogurt
• fresh dill, chopped
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1.  Mix together and enjoy with fresh cut veggies.