Perhaps I get emotionally invested too easily.
Anyway, I knew that I needed to do something to cheer myself up, so I decided I would make myself my all-time favorite meal, a warm spinach with red onion and nectarine salad. I first had this salad on a trip to Seattle last summer, so every time I eat it, I reminisce about that trip.
Warm Spinach with Red Onion and Nectarine salad.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 10 ounce baby spinach
- 2 nectarines, halved, pitted, each cut into 8 wedges
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup diced smoked ham, optional (I have never tried with the smoked ham)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spread almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in oven, stirring once or twice, until light golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- 2. Place spinach and nectarines in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir together vinegar and sugar until sugar dissolves. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt.
- 3. Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in vinegar mixture and remove from heat.
- 4. Scrape hot dressing over spinach mixture and toss to coat. Divide among 4 dinner plates. Sprinkle each salad with goat cheese, almonds and ham, if using. Serve immediately.
Cooking onions, for the dressing.
Spinach, nectarines and goat cheese. I added extra nectarines.
Tossed with the dressing. The warm dressing melts the goat cheese to perfection. It's delish and totally got me over my Finn and Rachel saddness.