Monday, June 18, 2012

Anniversary Lunch

This past weekend, Mr. McGhee and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary.






Now, I know this is the perfect opportunity for me to gush about my marriage, but all I am going to say is this.  After 11 years of marriage, I still think Mr. McGhee is cool.  Mr. McGhee still thinks I'm cool.  The best part of my day is when I hear the garage door open and I know he is home.  The best part of his day is when I say, "Mr. McGhee, sit down and relax.  Let me get you a beer and after you eat this dinner I made for you, I will rub your feet while the minis play quietly so you can watch sportscenter."


Mr. McGhee and I celebrated our anniversary by taking the minis to the mall to do some Father's Day shopping and out to lunch at our favorite local restaurant.  We lounged by the pool before we went to watch our middle mini pitch his first little league game.  I've got to tell you, there is no fancy schmancy anniversary trip that could top this.....




I did have time to squeeze in an anniversary meal.  I love roasted red peppers, so when I found a recipe for roasted red pepper and goat cheese pasta, I knew I had to try it.  



Roasted Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Alfredo
Ingredients
  • 2 whole red bell peppers
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup fat free half & half
  • 4 oz. garlic & herb goat cheese
  • 2/3 cup grated parigiano reggiano cheese
  • 1/2 cup artichoke hearts (optional)
  • 1/2 lb. linguine, cooked to al dente
  • salt & pepper, to taste
Directions
1.  Roast your red peppers.  You can follow the instructions from the original recipe, here  or you can follow my instructions here.  

2.  Saute onions and garlic in olive oil 7 minutes or until tender. Pour in half & half, goat cheese, salt & pepper. Stir to melt goat cheese into sauce and keep warm over low heat.

3.  Uncover peppers, peel off skin and remove stem and seeds. Chop into large pieces and place into sauce along with parmesan cheese. Stir to melt cheese and remove from heat. 

4.  Pour sauce into food processor and puree, or use an immersion blender. Place back into hot pan and toss with cooked pasta. 

5.  Taste and adjust seasonings (salt, pepper, any italian seasoning you like). Top with more parmesan cheese, pepper, salt and parsley, if desired.  I also topped with fresh basil.

Sauteed onion and garlic, with half and half being added.  


The sauce pre-food processor.


Processed and ready to be tossed with pasta.


Delish and ready to enjoy.


Happy Anniversary Mr. McGhee.  I am blessed to a be a dreamer that has found a partner that makes dreams happen.