Monday, June 11, 2012

Girls Night!!!

I have a group of friends that gets together about once a month for a girls night.  Now, "girls night" is one of those events that could be anything from this.....





....to this......








I would say our girls night falls somewhere in between.


The topics of conversation at girls night vary from parenting advice to Macedonian weddings.  But the one topic that is consistently covered is food.  So today I am going to share with you two dishes that I devoured at last month's girls night.  And I mean, I seriously devoured these.  Like the kind of devoured, where I am fairly certain when I got up to get my 5th helping, the girls were shooting one another glances and thinking we need to cover the topic of "bring a dish to pass" etiquette at next month's girls night.



FRUIT & CHEESE ORZO

  • 1 12oz box orzo
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic 
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/3 cups chopped baby spinach
  • ½ cup crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese 
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts


1.  In saucepan, cook orzo according to package directions and drain.
2.  Cook garlic and thyme in olive oil on medium heat for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
3.  Add orzo and last 4 ingredients. Season with pepper, if you choose.


This is the recipe as it was written.  We all agreed on girls night that you always add extra garlic, fresh herbs, and feta.  And seriously, when do you get a room full of women to agree on anything?  Add extra. 


This orzo salad is amazing the next day for lunch.  I know this because when nobody was looking, I threw the leftovers in a bowl and stuck it in my purse.  






This next dish is a chickpea cucumber salad.  It was incredibly delish and equally amazing for lunch the next day.  My minis devoured it and I think my puppy enjoyed a bite or two as well.


Chickpea Cucumber Salad

  • 1 can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
  • 1 large seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped into small chunks
  • large bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped small
  • feta cheese, chunked
  • olive oil
  • rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp dijon mustard
  • Toasted pine nuts
  • salt to taste
1.  Rinse canned beans. 
2.  Combine all ingredients.
3.  Add olive oil, vinegar, mustard and salt to taste.
4.  Crumble feta (add a lot, make it nice and creamy).
5.  Mix well.

She noted on the recipe, I don’t measure the dressing portion just add until I like the taste. I almost always double the recipe because it keeps so nice in the fridge.



There you go.  Girls night done right.  Throw in some cocktails and great conversation and it's a total success.