Monday, June 25, 2012

Superheroes and kohlrabi

So we had a little situation at our house the other day.  There was a bomb in the bottom of our swimming pool that was about to detonate.  And as if that wasn't worrisome enough, there were powerful gems surrounding the bomb that needed to be overcome before the bomb problem could even be addressed.  


Thank God I live with these guys.  






It was touch-and-go for about an hour, but they were able to capture all the gems.  They then discovered that the gems gave them superpowers, which they used to save the neighborhood (and, more importantly, their mom) from that ticking bomb that was in the bottom of our pool.








I don't know about you, but when someone saves my life, I want to do something nice for them.  And when I want to do something nice for someone, that usually means I want to cook for them.  And then I realized since my minis used their super powers to save me, I should use my super power to feed them.  So, I went shopping in my garden and realized I had kohlrabi that was ready to be picked.  My minis usually eat raw kohlrabi dipped in my veggie dip.


But I wanted to do something special for them so I decided I would try roasted kohlrabi.


Roasted Kohlrabi

  • 1 1/2 pounds fresh kohlrabi, ends trimmed, thick green skin sliced off with a knife, diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon garlic (garlic is optional, to my taste)
  • Salt
  • Good vinegar


1.  Set oven to 450F. 
2.  Toss the diced kohlrabi with olive oil, garlic and salt in a bowl. (The kohlrabi can be tossed with oil and seasonings right on the pan but uses more oil.) 
3.  Spread evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and put into oven (it needn't be fully preheated) and roast for 30 - 35 minutes, stirring every five minutes after about 20 minutes. 
4.  Sprinkle with a good vinegar when serving.  (I left the vinegar out for the minis).

My beautiful home-grown kohlrabi.





Coated and ready to be roasted.



Roasted (perhaps a little over-roasted?).....but still was delish!




My superheros were thrilled with their kohlrabi.  And anyone who is concerned that it is child abuse to reward your minis with roasted vegetables should know that I also gave my superheroes a smoothie to go with their kohlrabi.  And they assured me that they felt properly fueled to go back out there and save the neighborhood again.