Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Peppadews!

Last summer, I flew 2068 miles to Seattle to meet four girls I met on the internet.  Imagine this conversation.....

Heids:  Mr. McGhee, would you mind if I go to Seattle for a few days this summer to meet some girls from the internet?
Mr. McGhee:  Sounds good.  Where are are you going to stay?
Heids:  At the home of this girl I met on the internet.  
Mr. McGhee:  Sounds fun to me.

Now, this is how the conversation went with the other 20 people I told......

Heids:  I am going to Seattle to meet four girls I met on the internet.
other person:  You are FREAKING nuts!!!  Oh My Gawd, you are going to end up missing!!!  Where are you staying?
Heids:  At the home of this girl I met on the internet.  
other person:  You're joking, right? You can not be serious?!?!?  You are traveling 2068 miles to meet strangers from the internet and you are going to stay at their house!?!?!?  Heids, I seriously question your logic.  I mean, honest to God, who in their right mind flies across the country to meet strangers at their house?!?!
Heids:  Well, here's the thing.  Mr. McGhee and I made this New Year's Resolution to make 2011 the year of adventure, so I am thinking this sounds like a great adventure.
other person:  You and your freaking New Years Resolutions are ridiculous....

Well, the trip to Seattle ended up being ah-may-zing.  I got to spend the weekend with 4 girls that I had known for 8 years, even though we had never met.  We shopped, ate, and drank our way through Seattle.  We talked until 4 in the morning and then woke up at 7 because we had more to talk about!  And we laughed until we cried.  And then one of us started talking about something that made her cry and  then we were all dabbing tears because we're women and that's what we do.

Here is part of the group.  OMG, I am an AMAZON!!!


Shopping for that night's dinner.


The most beautiful bouquets I have ever seen.  $5 each.  Incredible.



I couldn't stop taking pictures of the vegetables.  



This was the most amazing experience I have ever had.  We kayaked with the Seattle skyline in front of us and mountains behind us.  This is on my must-do-again list.




So, why am I posting about this?  Well, part of it is self-indulgent because I totally miss these girls and it was at this time last year that we began planning our trip.  But, there is another reason why I was reminded of this trip today, and it's these babies right here.....



My fabulous friend from Seattle introduced me to the peppadew.  Peppadews arepiquante pepper from South Africa that was discovered in 1993.  How cool is that?!?!?  They were discovered around the same time that The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was discovered!  You can find peppadews in grocery stores or markets that have the fancy olive and mushroom bar.  I had mine on top of my omelet today and Oh My.  Delish.  

Spinach, Goat Cheese, and Peppadew omelet
  • butter, olive oil, or grapeseed oil
  • handful of spinach
  • salt and pepper
  • cooking sherry
  • 2-3 tbsp goat cheese
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-2 tbsp milk
1.  Melt butter, olive oil, or grapeseed oil in pan.
2.  Add spinach and a splash of cooking sherry.  Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
3.  Saute until spinach is wilted.
4.  Beat eggs in a separate bowl.  Add milk and stir.  Add goat cheese.
5.  Dump eggs over spinach and cook until eggs are cooked thoroughly.


I enjoyed mine with a pomegranate spritzer  in my cup that I got at the original Starbucks in Seattle.


I have to be honest....I went back twice and added more peppadews to my eggs.


I REALLY want you all to try this dish.  You could easily turn it into a quiche and serve it for lunch or dinner with a side of breakfast meat.  Or, if you really wanted to impress someone, you could invite them over for breakfast and make this dish along with broiled grapefruit.  Just to warn you, if you do that, people may think you're getting all fancy on them.  I would recommend making sure your house is nice and messy just to offset the fanciness of your meal.