Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Shamrock SMOOTHIE!!!

I told you on Monday that it was my mini's birthday.  We celebrated Sunday with family.

We celebrated Monday at home with tacos and baseball in the backyard.



We celebrated Tuesday with the Rockford Icehogs.





And we celebrated today at school was his classmates.  My mini got to bring in treats for his birthday at school, and he requested Shamrock Shakes.  My mini loves shamrock shakes.  With a last name like McGhee, it was bound to happen.  I thought bringing shamrock shakes to school was a great idea and found a recipe online.  I even pinned the recipe, that's how committed I was to these shakes.  We all know that pinning something is like publicly shouting, "I WILL DO THIS."

The shakes needed to be there by 12:30, so this was my plan.  Spin class at 7, shower, oil change, grocery store, make shakes, deliver shakes.  This is what happened.....spin class at 7, shower, oil change, find out I need new brakes on my car.  Normally, I would have said "not today, I'll wait and come back to get them done someday when I desperately call you from Interstate 90 because my brakes don't work."  But, this weekend we are going to visit my bestie and I can't feel good about putting my minis in a car for 7 hours that has questionable brakes.  So, I tell the guy, I've got an hour and 15 minutes.  He promises me it can be done.

So, at that point, I completely abandon all hope of delivering homemade shamrock shakes at this point, and resign myself to the fact that I will have to stop by McDonalds and buy the shakes.

An hour and 15 minutes pass and my car is still up on that thingie.  I ask the guy how much longer.  30 minutes.  I tell him that isn't going to work, I need my car now.  He tells me there is no way he can give me the car now, it has no brakes.  I tell him, "dude, you don't understand.  I am a mom that made a promise to my mini.  I don't care if the car has brakes or not.  It's got a horn, that'll work."  The guy gives me the keys to their rental car (a minivan with 450K miles on it) and I peal off to the golden arches.



At this point, I have the shakes.  I am mortified to be seen in public carrying $60 worth of McD's shamrock shakes, and I am paranoid that the middle schoolers are going to see me and think I'm a fraud.  I am calmly doing my 4-7-8 breathing exercises, and I tell myself maybe I can discreetly drop them off.  And then, the door to the school was opened by that guy.  You know, that guy that is the type of person that looks into the box and says, "well, well, well, what do we have here, Heids McGhee?"  I took off running for the classroom and was met by people who already knew Heids McGhee was in the building with McDonalds food, asking me questions like, "are you freaking out about all that food coloring?"  I dropped the box off and ran back to my crappy rental car.  I made it back to the car shop, got my own car and raced home.

I was a mess when I got home and knew I needed to rid myself of all the McDonalds cooties I surely had all over my body.  So, I did 100 jumping jacks, 100 situps, 100 pushups, and then I tried to do 100 pullups, but I only could do 3.  I still didn't feel better, but then I remembered a green smoothie recipe I have been dying to try.


Ingredients:
  • 2 bananas, frozen
  • 2 HUGE handfuls spinach (you won’t even taste it)
  • 1 cup milk (almond, soy, cow, etc)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend until mixed. Serve in tall glasses and enjoy.


Oh. My.  Delish.  Seriously, seriously the best green smoothie I have ever had.  And I feel so much better now.  In fact, if the entire school is pointing and laughing at me in the carpool lane at pickup today, I am totally okay with that.  Like, I'm not even worrying about that.  That's how okay I am.

And next year, I am totally showing up with a box of 26 shamrock SMOOTHIES.  And, now, this birthday is officially over.