Saturday, March 3, 2012

Gardening!

I am so excited I can barely type right now.  I took an organic gardening class today at Angelic Organics.  That means, in my mind, I am now a farmer.  See, look at me, I even dress the part!



Everyone at Angelic Organics is extremely kind and helpful, just like the people at the local natural market.  Seriously, all these people that are down with Mother Nature are so freaking happy. 

Now, I have zero gardening experience, so I am very excited to be planning my garden.  And, I have talked Mr. McGhee into taking a class on accessing your risks and resources in starting a small farm.  There are several reasons why I think we should start an organic farm and I am on a mission to prove to Mr. McGhee based on these reasons.....

1.  We could feed our family.
2.  I could spend my mornings talking about how beautiful my tomatoes are at the farmer's market.
3.  Farming would provide great blogging material.
4.  We live minutes from a large farming store.  I take that as a sign.

And if you're wondering if Mr. McGhee gets tired of all my campaigns?  The answer is yes.  Yes, he does.  Lucky for him, he works 60-70 hours a week, so his face-to-face time with me is limited.  So, for now, we are happily planning our garden....beets, carrots, kale, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, radishes, garlic, leeks, peppers, basil, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, and pumpkin.  A bit lofty, you think?  I probably should call it a farm, rather than a garden, right?

Moving on to dinner.....I have shared this recipe before, but it's worth reposting.  In fact, I'm going to keep posting it because it is delicious and freezes perfectly.  Do yourself a huge favor and make a huge batch of it and freeze the leftovers. 

Mexican Beef
  • 1 (4 pound) frozen rump roast
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 2 (7.75 ounce) cans Mexican style hot tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons crushed garlic
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  1. Place the frozen roast in the slow cooker. Pour the wine and Mexican style hot tomato sauce over the top. Season with garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low for 9 hours. When done, the roast should shred easily with a fork. Shred the roast into the juices, and mix in the chopped green onions and cilantro.               
Since you have the bottle of wine open, I recommend you pour yourself a glass.  And, since you can't freeze the leftover wine, you may as well finish the bottle. 

I serve this taco meat on tortillas.  You can make your own or be a cheater and buy these:


Flour tortillas
  • 4 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp veg shortening or lard
  • 1 1/2 cups water
1. Mix.
2. Knead.
3. Roll.
4. Cook on hot skillet.




We top ours with cheese, chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, avocado, and sour cream.  I served them with black bean stuffed bell peppers. 


Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

  • 2 small peppers- any kind you’d like
  • 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
  • 1/2 cup sweet corn
  • 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
  • fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a slit through the entire length of each of your peppers. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are softened and beginning to blister.
  2. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add your onion and saute for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
  3. Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
  4. Stir in your black beans along with the water.
  5. Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes, but up to 30 minutes.
  6. Stir in corn. Divide the bean mixture evenly among the two peppers and sprinkle with cheese.
  7. Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream if you’d like.
**sidenote** I brushed peppers with olive oil and broiled after step 1 for a couple of minutes. I like my peppers a little charred.

Now, I expect all of you to make a huge batch of the taco meat.  You really should because next week I am going to show you how to turn it into soup.

Now, prepare to be ah-may-zed.  I really out-did myself with dessert.  The other day I bought dried mangos from the local natural market.  Now, these are not a bag of factory-dried mangos, these are mangos dried at the market.  They are absolutely delish.  And now I am convinced I need a food dehydrator.  So, that means the birthday wish list is now....food processor, VitaMix, food dehydrator, iPod, sports watch, and a designer handbag. So, you're probably wondering if Heids McGhee is a greedy, materialistic person.  And the answer yes.  Yes, I am.  I can't help it, I like things.  Particularly shiny things.  I also want a puppy.  See, I'm not materialistic and heartless.  But you better believe, if I get that puppy, I am totally putting it in this.

So, back to dessert.......

Chocolate Mangos
  • dried mangos (HIGHLY recommend finding real fresh dried mangos)
  • dark chocolate
  • kosher (or sea) salt
1.  Melt dark chocolate in double broiler (or microwave).
2.  Dip mango in melted chocolate.
3.  Lay on sheet of parchment paper.
4.  Sprinkle with salt.

These are delish.  Like so delish, you will have to hide in the pantry to eat them. 





And, finally, I want to share an after school snack that was a total hit with the minis the other day.  I found cinnamon-whipped honey at Great Harvest.  The ingredients are honey and cinnamon.  Although it isn't local honey, I decided to live a little and buy it anyway.  Great decision.



Apple Sandwich
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced
  • natural peanut butter
  • honey
  • raisins
1.  Spread peanut butter on apple slice.
2.  Spread honey on apple slice.
3.  Sprinkle raisons on peanut butter.
4.  Sandwich two apple slices together.



Delish!  Have a great night, I am off to bed.....you know us farmers, early to bed, early to rise!