Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Comfort food

The minis didn't have school yesterday, they had the day off for teacher planning day.  When I was a kid, we used to have a day off in March to celebrate this guy.  We started the day off with basketball (I totally schooled them), bowling (won again!), and finished with some swimming (got my butt whipped...and they had the nerve to yell booyah suckah in my face!)

We were basically gone all day, which makes eating a little tricky considering this special diet we have decided to adapt.  After basketball we came home and had a large snack of homemade granola bars, cheese slices, avocado, and apple slices with peanut butter.  So I was totally thinking we'd be all set for a few hours.  Wrong!  Am I the only one with minis that think they need to eat as soon as we are in the car?  We made it to the bowling alley, where they totally thought they were going to sucker me into buying some nachos.  Unfortuantely for them, I came prepared with snacks.  So we had peanuts, dark chocolate chips, raisins, clementine oranges and water while we bowled.  If any of you were at Don Carter Lanes yesterday, yes....I was that mom.  I was also the mom yelling booyah suckahs in my minis' faces.  Inappropriate perhaps...but I bowled a 138.  That is serious booyah. 

We made it to the pool where we swam until we were exhausted.  We were tired, cold, and hungry by the time we got home.  My oldest mini decided he would make us all a snack.  He wanted me to share this recipe with you all and tell you that he personally guarantees that your minis will love it too.

Jack's Super Swimmer Snack
  • rolled oats
  • pat of butter
  • tablespoon of brown sugar
  • drizzle of 100% pure maple syrup
  • milk
  • 3 tablespoons applesauce
1.  Cook the oatmeal on the stove.
2.  Put a pat of butter and the brown sugar in a bowl.
3.  Put hot oatmeal on top of butter and sugar.
4.  Stir.
5.  Add a splash of milk.
6.  Add a drizzle of maple syrup.
7.  Stir in applesauce.



Totally delish and truly easy to make.  Seriously, if my mini can do it, yours can too.  OK, that didn't come out right.  My brilliant mini can do it and I am sure your brilliant mini can too.

Tonight's dinner is a batch of chicken and dumplings, yellow carrots, and peas.  This dinner was very easy to prepare, thanks to leftover chicken from Friday night.

  • 2 cups Flour
  • ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
  • 1 pinch Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 cup Milk, A Bit Less Than A Full Cup
  • 2 quarts Chicken Broth (I swear by this recipe, but you can use canned/boxed, if you insist)
  • 3 cups Cooked Chicken

  • 1.  In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender. Stir in the milk, mixing with a fork until the dough forms a ball.

    2.  Heavily flour a work surface. You’ll need a rolling pin and something to cut the dumplings with. I like to use a pizza cutter. I also like to use a small spatula to lift the dumplings off the cutting surface.

    3.  Roll the dough out thin with a heavily floured rolling pin. Dip your cutter in flour and cut the dumplings in squares about 2″x2″. It’s okay for them not to be exact. 

    4.  Use the floured spatula to put them on a heavily floured plate. Just keep flouring between the layers of dumplings.

    5.  To cook them, bring the broth to a boil. Drop the dumplings in one at a time, stirring while you add them. The extra flour on them will help thicken the broth. Cook them for about 15-20 minutes or until they not doughy tasting. Add the cooked chicken to the pot and you’re done!




    Delish.  Seriously, after making this dish, you will never spend $10 on chicken and dumplings again.