Friday, March 30, 2012

Out for lunch

I recently told you about our favorite restaurant in Chicago.  On Wednesday, Mr. McGhee and I took our oldest mini into the city for a doctor's appointment.  After the appointment, we were starving and decided to revisit our old neighborhood for lunch.  Lunch was ah-may-zing.  We started out with bruschetta.  I am going to share my bruschetta recipe because it is VERY close to the restaurant's.

Here is the restaurant's.


Here is mine.

Tomato Bruschetta
  • 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1.  Add all ingredients in order listed.
2.  Enjoy with bread.  Tell yourself you are awesome.  Because you really are.  I am too.

I took photos of our food because it was so beautiful and amazingly delish.  

Pizza, according to my mini it's the best.pizza.ever


Salmon for Mr. McGhee.


Pear Ravioli with sundried tomato (it had a much fancier name that I couldn't pronounce, so I did the oh-so-sophisticated point at the menu when I was ordering).


Dessert.  My mini did not share this very well.


Despite being in the city for a doctor's appointment, we had a wonderful day with our oldest mini.



I thought since we were going to be home all week, that I would be cooking all week long.  In reality, we have been super busy and our meals have been simple.  So this morning, I thought I would whip up a tasty breakfast for everyone.  Mr. McGhee wanted an egg sandwich so I made him the yummiest concoction I could think of.  He said it was delish and I believe him.  

Mr. McGhee's egg sandwich
  • bell pepper, sliced
  • egg
  • 2 slices of bread, toasted
  • small handful of spinach
  • sundried tomatoes
  • cheese, I used white cheddar
1.  Heat a skillet and put bell peppers on pan.
2.  Crack the egg into the bell pepper.
3.  Cook.   Use caution when flipping the egg.
4.  On toast, layer pepper/egg, spinach, sundried tomato, and cheese.  

If I had pesto, I would have put that on as well.





And the minis wanted pancakes.  I tried this recipe for blueberry pie panckes.

Blueberry Pie Pancakes
  • your favorite pancake batter
  • blueberries (1/2 cup per person)
  • 2 tbsp rolled oats (per person)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon (per person)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (per person) 

1.  Prepare enough pancake batter for the number of people you are serving.
2.  Add other ingredients, amounts based on number you are preparing.
3.  Cook on a hot skillet like you would cook regular pancakes.
4.  Enjoy with pure maple syrup.




These pancakes are delish.  I added extra everything, so mine were very flavorful and chock full of berries and oats, with a sweet flavor.

Enjoy!