Friday, March 9, 2012

K-sah-dil-lias and OMG!!!!!BROILED GRAPEFRUIT!!!

I told you that I went to the doctor for a physical the other day.  Now, I know that getting your blood taken and analyzed isn't a competition, but if it were, I am practically an Olympian.  Even Mr. McGhee was postively gushing when he rolled his eyes and mumbled "well, you're doing something right."  So, yeah me! 

Last night's dinner was delish, so I have to share it with you.  I got the recipe from the Pioneer Woman, which is a blog I have followed for years.  The Pioneer Woman always has amazing recipes and photographs, plus she homeschools her minis and lives on a ranch with her husband, who is a cowboy.  Oh yeah, and she is hysterically funny.  In comparison, I ship my minis off to school so I can take crappy pictures of my simple recipes.  I live in a Wisteria Lane-esque subdivision with Mr. McGhee, who is not a cowboy.  Pioneer Woman has a tv show.  I have an audience in my head that I speak to all day.  Now you understand why I follow Pioneer Woman. 

Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilia (I am assuming Pioneer Woman calls these k-sah-dee-yahs.  In the McGhee household, these are k-sah-dil-lias." 




  • 3 Tablespoons Butter
  • 16 ounces, weight White Mushrooms, Sliced
  • 1/3 cup Sherry Or Wine
  • 3 Tablespoons (additional) Sherry Or Wine
  • Kosher Salt And Pepper To Taste
  • 1 bag Baby Spinach
  • 12 whole Flour Tortillas (Soft Taco Size)
  • 8 ounces, weight Fontina (or Monterey Jack) Cheese, Grated
  • 3 ounces, weight Goat Cheese (chevre)
  • Extra Butter, For Tortillas
  • Salsa, For Serving

  • 1.  Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet and add sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, then pour in sherry. Add salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 6 to 8 minutes, or until all liquid is evaporated. Remove mushrooms from skillet and set aside.

    2.  Return skillet to stovetop and reduce heat to medium-low. Melt additional 1 tablespoons of butter and add a couple of tablespooons of sherry. Add spinach to skillet and stir gently as it wilts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cook for 2 minutes, max. Remove from skillet.

    3.  To assemble the quesadillas, arrange grated Fontina, spinach, and mushrooms on top of one flour tortilla. Dot with goat cheese. Top with a little more Fontina, then top with second tortilla. Smear softened butter lightly on both sides of the quesadilla, then grill until golden brown and until cheese is totally melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
    Slice quesadillas into four wedges and serve immediately.

    *sidenote* I did not smear my tortillas with butter.  In fact, I mainly used olive oil in place of butter in the recipe.  Next time, I think I will use butter-flavored grapeseed oil.   

    Resist all temptation to eat entire pan of mushrooms.  I will never EVER EVER make sliced mushrooms again for anything without adding sherry.  Oh. My. Delish.







    Delish.  And nobody here will judge you if you enjoy your quesadilia with a bottle glass of Malbec. 

    Today I got home from spin class (remember, I'm a biker....you know, the hard-core type that rides a stationary bike indoors) and was postively starving.  I remembered a recipe I have been dying to try for broiled grapefruit. 

    • grapefruit, cut in half
    • honey
    • plain, greek yogurt
    • chopped walnuts
    • unsweetened shredded coconut
    • cinnamon
    1.  Preheat Broiler.
    2.  Place grapefruit halves on foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with small amount of honey.
    3.  Broil 6 minutes until golden.
    4.  Top with yogurt, wanuts, coconut, and cinnamon.

    Before, drizzled with honey.



    After.  Oh. My. Delish.



    Um, hello fancy schmancy Heids McGhee?!?!?  I don't know any stuck up rich people, but if I did....I would totally say, "Hey, want to come over for breakfast?  We are having broiled grapefruit."  Until I find some rich stuck up people, I will just share my grapefruit with people I love....I live a blessed life full of those!